Hello! In today’s short post, I want to share with you my way of creating a white outline for an image. I use it to create stickers.
As you may know, I am a QA by day and an illustrator by night, so I will describe the process in steps 🙂
- Open your artwork and copy the layer. You can drag an existing layer onto Create New Layer button. You should end up with two identical layers:
2. Select all elements on the bottom layer and combine all the items. To do this, use Pathfinder > Unite command:
3. Turn off visibility of the top layer for a while and change color of the just merged bottom layer. Please select white color #FFFFFF. In this step you should have something like that on the artboard:
4. Make sure our white item on the bottom layer is still selected and click Effect > Path > Offset Path. A small pop-up window will appear where you need to make some adjustments. I usually select Joins = Round and click OK.
5. After that please click on Object > Expand Appearance and then do the same command Pathfinder > Unite and turn on visibility of the top layer. Tadaa! White outline is ready and you have your first sticker:
If you have an easier and quicker way how to create white outline for an image, please let me know in the comments!
Thank you and have a good week!
P.S. You can also find this image in Vector to Sightseeing product in my Creative Market shop.