How to create seamless pattern in Procreate
In this post I want to share with you my way of how to create seamless pattern in Procreate. I was inspired for this post by an Instagram challenge.
So, here are my steps.
- First of all, create a square canvas: I chose 2048px x 2048px.
- Start creating your pattern. I used my Procreate stamp brushes “Urban Stamps” to prepare an example for this post. Please see below what I created.
As you can see, it is not seamless at all at the moment, so we need to take a couple of extra steps 🙂
3. Duplicate the layer with the prepared image so that you end up with 4 identical layers. Refer to the picture for an example.
4. Once that is done, we will move our layers to different corners. But before that, let’s make sure we have set up the selection tool correctly.
Select the Select tool (cursor icon at the top of the screen) and under Snapping at the bottom, select the following settings:
- Magnetics = true (please enable toggle-button)
- and Snapping = true.
5. When Snapping is set up, move each of the 4 layers to different corners: top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right. Make sure you see the yellow rules as you move the layers, so that your images are cropped by a quarter and the resulting layers join exactly in the center of the canvas. See the images in the gallery for an example.
6. Now on a new layer, I add an additional elements to fill in the gaps in the image.
I used a new layer to be able to edit the stamps easily, you can draw on any of the existing layers, it is up to you.
Please take a look at the resulting image. I think the resulting image is not so perfect, but it is seamless and good for explaining 🙂
I hope you will find this post interesting and useful. Let me know in the comments! Please read another “how to” posts here.